Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:19:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, tege@nada.kth.se
Subject:   Multiple versions of packages (was: Re: bin/3165...)

>  > A file `kpsetool' is required by `MakeTeXPK' but does not exist in
>  > the tex-3.14159.tgz package.
>
> I don't see any occurence of ``kpsetool'' in MakeTeXPK nor any program
> with this name in the build directory. Are you sure to use the
> MakeTeXPK script which comes with tex?

I think I saw the above problem with the teTeX port as well (the
latter also lacks symlinks for latex, tex and mf).

BTW it is a bit confusing to have teTeX, tex-3.14159, latex2e,
xdvi, dvips, etc. as separate packages when teTeX includes almost
everything one needs. IMHO, at least for the precompiled packages,
it would be better to have just one -- the most recent and complete
one, teTeX in this case -- and just leave the option of ports for
those with unusual needs.

The same applies probably to other packages such as tk/tcl,
ghostscript, gv/ghostview... in all cases where the most recent
version is just a superset of the previous one and does not suffer
suffer from what I call the "Netscape syndrome" (application size
grows exponentially with major version numbers. And minor version
numbers are never greater than 0).

	Cheers
	Luigi