Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 01:48:12 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

At 5:33 PM -0800 2/14/03, Wes Peters wrote:
>Keywords are easier to parse than name=value pairs in this case.
>How 'bout:
>
>lpr.info		/var/log/lpd-errs	256K
>local3.*		/var/log/foo		new 1K
>ftp.*			/var/log/ftp		bzip 1M
>cron.*			/var/log/cron		rm

Hmm.  If syslogd can call newsyslog, does it need bzip/gzip options?
[I'm just wondering, I have no preference either way]

>  > I'd also suggest that newsyslog be run with some (new?) option
>>  that says "rotate this file, even if you don't think it needs
>>  to be rotated".
>
>newsyslog doesn't really seen to have this feature; -F just
>truncates the file.  I'll look into a proper "force" flag
>for newsyslog.

Based on a few minutes of testing, I think newsyslog will pretty
much do the right thing if you call it as:

      newsyslog -Fr /var/log/somefilename

The '-r' is just so newsyslog doesn't turn around and send a
signal back to syslogd.  I'm still tempted to add a '-R'.

>  > I'd expect newsyslog to know *how* to do the
>>  rotation in this case (bzip, gzip, or alternate file-naming
>>  conventions, and permissions on the newly-created log file).
>
>What should it do if told to newsyslog a file it is not
>configured to handle?

I would add some default rotate-action to newsyslog, which
would be used if -R is specified and the file is not listed
in the newsyslog.conf file.

I think we'd then want some way for the user to change that
default rotate-action.  Probably by something like adding
a line where the filename is <default>.