Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:21:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Patrick G. LeBlanc" <leblancp@cuug.ab.ca>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing with CR-563 Pan. on Sb16 interface

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 1996 leblancp@cuug.ab.ca wrote:
>
> >      Hi there!  I have been having a LOT of problems getting the FreeBSD
> > install to recognize my CR-563 Panasonic cdrom connected through my
> > Sound Blaster 16 sound card.  I read in the hardware documentation about
>
> Did you upgrade from 2.0.5?
>
> You may need to rm -r /usr/src/sys and get clean source.

  Thanks for the advise!  But I'm a complete newbie to FreeBSD.  I am
trying to set it up as my main development computer, rather than the
option of a win95 system.  I think FreeBSD is a FAR superior development
environment.  I also just want to learn about the nuts and bolts of Unix
from a sys admin perspective.  I'm not a heavy duty programmer, just a
dabbler really.
  I'de really like to get the cdrom up and running so I can start using
the system properly.  The "set port to -1" trick actually sets it to
0xfffffffff (0x0 minus 1, big surprize).  Then the kernel reports that
the device is not found at that address and doesn't seem to search
anyplace else for it like the documentation says it will.  Funny thing
though, on boot up with the port at 0x230 the cdrom drive light DOES
activate, but then the kernel still says "matcdc0 not found at 0x230".
Hmmmmmmmmm......kind of frustrating eh?  I've tried ports
120h,220h,320h,330h,240h,230h,260h,280h,120h,130h, ad nausium etc...
Thanks for your help, I hope I haven't stumped you.

  Patrick LeBlanc
    http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~leblancp
      "Blah blah blah blah blah blah."