Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:13:09 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load Averages

Holtor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Was the way load averages are calcuated changed in
> Freebsd 4.4? I had one server running 4.3 with loads
> between 1.5 - 2.0 all the time. After upgrading to
> 4.4-stable friday dec 7th load averages on this server
> are now rarely every above 0.10 which is a very
> signifigan change. That computer is running all the
> same things before and after the upgrade.
>
> Would that polling code removed on 7th, but included
> in my upgrade, have something to do with this? Its all
> i can think of.

There were some changes committed to -CURRENT that put a slight
variation in the time the samples were taken to avoid always sampling
while repative system task were running and creating a false high load.
I am not sure if they have been MFC'd yet, but they might have.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .