Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:22:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multia X-Files...

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Bruce M. Walter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is not a complaint or request for help...  Merely a report of my
> recent experiences with FreeBSD/alpha.  I have a Personal Workstation
> 500au which I will eventually move into a role as my development server
> and thought it best to also pick up a Multia or two to act as frontline
> machines for tracking current, stable and such.
>
> 3.1-R seemed quite happy on my Miata (once I had labeled the disks with
> the 4.0-C utility ;) so I figured it was the place to start for the Multia
> as well.  I've pretty much found that older Quantum drives + the NCR
> controller = CCB already dequeued problems, so I picked up an el-cheapo
> Fireball ST.  It's working, although the tagged openings have a tendency
> to decrease and I can't turn off tagged queueing from camcontrol without
> freezing the drive.
>
> Unfortunately, I was unable to get the 4.0-C kernel from the 2/6 snap to
> load because of the kern_lock problems Julian fixed last night (thanks!),
> so I wound up using a 3.1-R kern.flp along with a 3.1-S mfsroot.flp to
> partition and install the 3.1-R distributions.  This worked and produced a
> complete 3.1-R system I was able to build a kernel from.
>
> Now we get into the X-Files part ;)  The system, under both 3.1-R and
> 3.1-S, would reboot without warning, apparently at random.  This condition
> persisted.  After several attempts at building world I assumed it to be
> faulty hardware, most likely memory.  Since I had access to another Multia
> NCR controller, I popped it in...  Still problems.  Finally, the machine
> dropped into the the debugger instead of rebooting with no messages.  The
> message was

I don't know what the exact reason for the spontaneous reboots might be
but I suspect dodgy hardware.  Do these multias run any other operating
systems successfully?

> panic: ffs_valloc: dup inode
>
> In doing some searching, I found alot of similarities between my situation
> and the 'Dave Rivers memorial panic.'  This in and of itself didn't seem
> strange, as I thought Dave's problems to be hardware related at the time.
> What *IS* a mystery to me is now that I can boot a 4.0-C kernel, the
> problems appear to be gone.  With sources cvsupped as of late last night,
> I've built world successfully twice.

I have often seen this after rebooting from a crash.  It is caused by fsck
not picking up some inconsistency of the disk I think.

> I realize this is probably not very helpful, but wanted to post my
> observations.  This could be either:
>
> 1) Matt's recent fixes to the VM stuff has produced VM code which doesn't
>    exercise the faults in my hardware -or-
>
> 2) Matt's recent fixes to the VM stuff 'exorcised' the bugs causing my
>    problems and possibly one of the more elusive, recurring panics in
>    recent releases. I wonder if Dave still runs that old news server ;)
>
> Hopefully the second is true. Now, if I can just figure out how to get rid
> of those annoying
>
> dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 30
>
> messages during the Multia's PCI probe, I'd be a happy man.  Ideas anyone?

Possibly dodgy firmware?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com