Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:08:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        Jacob Smullyan <smulloni@bracknell.smullyan.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: local ports?

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Jacob Smullyan wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I'm coming to FreeBSD after using Gentoo Linux extensively for a year
> and half, so I'm wondering whether some features of Gentoo have
> equivalents in FreeBSD ports:
>
> 1. is it possible to specify a particular version of a port that you
> want to install, or is there only one version of a port available at
> any one time in a particular distribution branch?

Depends. In most cases, you have one version at a specific time, but
things like samba, there are the 2.2 and 3.0 simultaneously available.

There is the utility portupgrade, which also does a great job in
updating the ports tree, therefore keeping your apps up to date.

> 2. is it possible to have local ports, so as to keep my own ports
> (either new applications or development versions of pre-existing
> ports) in a separate place than the regular ports tree?

basically, yes.
But I have to admit that I never dug through the vast amount of
makefiles.

in each part of the installation process via ports, you can set some
parameters, if you want.

> I haven't come across this in the handbook, but I may have missed it.
> There may be other sources of documentation I've missed, too --

This is mostly make.conf and the whole concept of makefiles...
There is nearly only digging through man pages or the mailing list
archives.

HTH
Olaf
--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,