Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:50:43 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libvirt and rebooting of a bhyve VM

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get the reboot working. Moreover, I
> get the same behaviour when starting bhyve manually -- when I do a
> reboot, bhyve(8) exits as soon as the system is ready to restart.
>
> So looks like that's a default bhyve behaviour or I'm missing something?

Well, if you look at /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh, you
will see that byvectl --destroy --vm=xx ; bhyveload; bhyve
is run in a loop.  That loop only terminates of bhyve returns non-zero.

I don't think that this is a very good API, but that's what we have for now.

If there was some way to detect of the bhyve process exited due to
ACPI shutdown or normal reboot, that would be helpful.  That would
help people writing scripts around bhyve.
--
Craig