Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 1995 14:30:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams), "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@morton.cdrom.com>, current@freefall.cdrom.com, pk@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Argh! Another side-effect of Nate's changes?

> I think the problem is simply that static programs don't have the
> _DYNAMIC information necessary to do dynamic linking.  Arguably, you
> don't want them to.

Arguably, perhaps (and this is what I figured the case probably was).
But it still remains the case that dlopen() and friends then remain
caller-specific.  You can't use them if the caller is static, only
dynamic.  At the very least this should be *documented* since the
naturally tendency of the reader is then going to be to assume that
dlopen() is just another call like "strcpy" or something - something
that ANY program can call, be it static or dynamic.

					Jordan