Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:52:06 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2bd request, help with older softupdates filesystem

It might be softupdates, but not likely.  Search the freebsd-fs
archives for some discussion of this error.

Here's a couple of things you can try.

fsck only the /usr partition; you can find out which partition is /usr
by checking /etc/fstab.  For example, my laptop's /usr partition is
/dev/ad0s1f.

fsck /dev/ad0s1f

You might also try using a -b flag to fsck to have it try an alternate
superblock.

Once you have /usr fsck'd, mount /usr read-only.  run "/bin/sh
/etc/netstart" to bring up your network interface.  You can then
FTP/scp your files out.

Good luck!

Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
my FreeBSD column: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons