Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:38:53 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, slava revutchi <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on one slice

On Monday, 22 November 1999 at 10:54:54 -0500, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, slava revutchi wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to set up FreeBSD on one slice so that
>> I won't have separate slices for /, /usr and /var?
>> I need this for an workstation.
>
> Within one FreeBSD slice, you can have eight partitions.  Each of
> these partitions can be a filesystem, like /, /usr, and /var or a
> swap area.
>
> Each machine can have four slices (called DOS partitions). In other
> slices, you can have Windows, Linux, etc.

If, on the other hand, you mean "Is there a way to set up FreeBSD on
one partition?", the answer is probably no.  You can get by with only
one partition (and I often do), but you also need swap space.
Theoretically you could swap to a file (with some juggling), but
performance is terrible and I can't see any reason to want to do so.

Greg