Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:59:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   bin/7021: Size estimation patches to pkg_*

>Number:         7021
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Size estimation patches to pkg_*
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	My 2.2-stable system CVSUped last weekend.  The patches are
bases on its source.

	I added package size estimation to pkg_create which puts
another file (named +SIZE) in the resulting tar ball.  One can also
use the new pkg_create to just estimate this size and put it into some
file or to stdout.  The new options are -S for giving the name of the
file where the size shall be written (also works when actually
creating a package) and -z for size estimation only.

	In pkg_add I had to make a small addition to get the file into
the package database under /var/db/pkg.  It will be needed by pkg_info
to give an idea of how much space a package consumes.

	pkg_info was changed to give the package size.  It currently
just outputs the file so it isn't pretty.  The number should get read
in with *scanf() and written out in KByte with separtors appropriate
for the locale, i.e. thousands separator with commas in the US for
example.

	pkg_delete just does the right thing.  Not patch needed.

	The old 2.2-stable pkg_add just ignore +SIZE so one can add
the new packages with the old command.  The new pkg_add is able to
add old packages.  So I think they are fully compatible with each
other.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Apply the patch and try the new features.

>Fix:

	I will have to upload it to ftp.freebsd.org as it is a bit too
large for my taste.  If anybody would like to have it via email I will
send out individual copies.

	I think the URL will be:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/pkg_size_patches.gz

Unless it is used already.  I can't check now as I only have Internet
from 4:00 p.m. CEST on.  :-(