Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:11:14 -0400
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        mollyt <mollyt@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
Cc:        apana-lists-os-freebsd-hardware@apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: Modem connects 9600 only WHY?

In message <01bb57f2.c0393f60$6e0d038c@pc-molly>you write:
>I am running BSD/2.0 and have connected a modem to it for remote shell
>access, the next step was to allow PPP access BUT.
>I have a microcom deskporte fast modem (28.8k).
>the box is a pentium 75 with 8meg ram.
>
>I cannot get the modem to connect at any Baud-rate than 9600 and below, I
>have placed my own entries in ETC/GETTYTAB following the format of the
>entries that are there but no good I get no table entry when I modify ttys
>and let a getty run on tty00.
>
>Can anyone tell me how I get a modem to run on my BSD machine including:
I'm using a US Robotics V.everything on a Sun Sparc 2 running SunOS 4.1.3_U1.

>1) How to dictate com port speed (computer to modem)
AT&B10 -- sets computer->modem at 115200 baud
>2) How to dictate communication speed (modem to modem)
AT&N0 -- negotiates the highest
>3) What files I need to modify and how (ie gettytab entries ttys entries).
I need a special card (Magma, $275, I think with 2 serial ports, 1 parallel)
and put the following in my /etc/rc.local

# MAGMA Sp
# MAGMA Sp Driver
# installed on 04/07/95 15:48 by jparnas.cybercom.net!jparnas  ttyp2   Apr  7 15:31     (:0.0)
#
if [ -d /etc/MAGMA/Sp ] ; then
   dir=`pwd`
   cd /etc/MAGMA/Sp
   /usr/etc/modload mh.o -entry _mh_vdcmd -exec mh.exec
   /etc/MAGMA/Sp/setport  cum01 115200 -parenb cs8 crtscts ixoff 709 -hangup
   /etc/MAGMA/Sp/setport ttym01 115200 -parenb cs8 crtscts ixoff 709 -hangup
   cd $dir
fi
rm -f /u/jparnas/tmp/slip.output
rm -f /u/jparnas/tmp/slip.pid
rm /usr/spool/uucp/LCK*

It uses 1800 baud as 115200 baud (since 1800 is pretty much never used).
Thus my gettytab entry is like this:

j|std.115200|115200-baud:\
	:sp#115200

And I'd have a ttytab entry like:

# name	getty				type		status	comments
#
ttym01	"/usr/etc/getty std.1800"	unknown		off local secure

And when not in use /etc/ttys would be like: (for that port)

1jttym01

I think that about covers it.

Note, Your modem might be different so I'd double check the commands, and
freebsd is almost certainly different than SunOS.  But this should give
you the basic idea.

Jacob