Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:55:46 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@filex.se>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Del <repenting@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: I need help locating my USB and IR devices in my notebook computer.

Mike Del wrote:

> Information for my Toshiba Satellite 315CDS notebook computer...
>
> (So where the hell are my USB and IR devices located?)
> I think that the USB device might be on pci0:17:0 , and my IR device
> might be on pci0:11:0. I am not sure of this. I really need someone
> to confirm where they are located because I would like to start
> a FreeBSD IR project.

I have also thought about starting a FreeBSD IR project. The specs are
freely available from www.irda.org and the Linux folks have made some
progress in the area. The problem with irda is that is a huge standard
divided in many different protocols. Many devices/implementations only
support a tiny part of the standards.

My problem is that I have never written a Unix device driver let
alone a whole bus with different drivers, devices, plug&play, multi-
protocol support that can bind to both IP and other interfaces some
which have to be developed by the project.

Having said that I doubt that I am the right person to lead such a
project, but I would be happy to spend time to code, test and document
some part of it.

		/Martin

|   | | Martin Nilsson M.Sc. CS&E | |    Internet & Intranet    | |   |
| o | | FILEX AB, Lund SWEDEN     | | Applications & shopping   | | o |
|   | | email: martin@filex.se    | | using NT or UNIX. TCP/IP  | |   |
| o | | Web: http://www.filex.se  | | consulting. Programming in| | o |
|   | | Phone: +46-46-304130      | | C/C++,SQL,Perl & Java.    | |   |
|   |       Those who do not understand Unix are condemned        |   |
| o |       to reinvent it, poorly.       -- Henry Spencer        | o |