Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 17:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   whereis

I've often wondered why the 'whereis' command doesn't use your $PATH
in addition to the default path it searches.  Is there some compelling
reason for not doing this?

What I'd like to see is a list of all matches to a program I'm looking
for to see if there are more than one in my search path.  And, it
would follow my $PATH so I know the order that will be used when
entered.  That seems to make more sense than the way it works now, and
is certainly safer.

I'm sure there are historical reasons for this, but would not a extra
flag (like -a for "all" or perhaps "alternate") make sense to add this
functionality?