Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:59:14 -0400
From:      Francisco_Izquierdo@appliedcard.com
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secured access

I have been following this list for a while, and it seems to me this is the
right place to pose this question.

I have to place a server outside a firewall, unprotected out on the net.  I
also have to grant telnet access to some users.  I would like to limit what
access the users have to the machine to just telnet and ftp.  I also would
like to prevent them from doing anything unauthorized on the server.  I
understand there are solutions like jail, chroot and rsh.

SSH is a possibility as alternative access to telnet, but it still does not
tell me how to lock a user in a sandbox.  I need to have the users stay in
this sandbox even when they are using programs that allow shell escapes,
such as vi.

Which methods would you use to secure your own box if it was available to
anyone without any firewall protection?

Regards,
Francisco Izquierdo