Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:47:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maxtor 40GB HD

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > Version is 3.3, standard newfs args from sysinstall (-b 2192 -something
> > 1024), the error message is a simple write error. What info from the
> > disklabel would you like?
>
> This is just an off the wall theory from an interested observer with not
> a lot of detailed knowledge....
>
> How much memory does this system have?  Real? Swap? Are you doing this
> from an install floppy?  Does it happen immediately on starting the newfs
> or after some processing?

It has to be the ide driver, because even with small (<20GB) partitions,
the machine would panic and reboot after about 3 hours, with uncorrectable
drive errors, requiring a full reinstall.

I'm going to give redhat a quick try at it...it's just an rsync server, so
I'll have to put away my OS of choice until 4.0-Release comes out next
year.

Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-695-4060
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net