Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:31:03 +0800
From:      Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@post1.com>
To:        ArkanoiD <ark@paranoid.convey.ru>
Cc:        firewalls@greatcircle.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: log connection attempts?

On Sep 3, ArkanoiD wrote:
> Did anyone try to patch the kernel to log connection attempts for ports
> (tcp and maybe udp) where no program accepts connection? (2.1.7)

About 2 years ago, some one from Oz did just that.

Asking the search engines...

Altavista... results totally irrelevant. (Seems that it is run by
the Internic whois people these days. ;)

Infoseek... hmmm, ip masquerade...

Lycos... got it! First entry, too:

	http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/Seminars/AUUG96/netpaper.html

Off-hand I wonder if in-kernel logging might undo measures like
syn-flood proofing, etc., and introduce DOS possibilities.

BTW, read today that CMU is being awarded a patent for Lycos-related
technology.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@post1.com>