Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:17:08 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-current-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:19:32PM -0500, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 03:33:41PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> writes:
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > [...]
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Are you joking?
> >=20
> > Are you asking whether he's joking about (1) the idea of ever
> > implementing it, (2) the fact that he hasn't done it yet, or=20
> > (3) the idea that it's rarely used?  All of those sound=20
> > reasonable to me...
>=20
> I'm questioning (1) myself.  This just seems like a bad idea from a
> security perspective.  Of course, some kind of sanitization could
> mitigate the issue.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that whoever runs the cvsup server
already owns your machine, since they're giving you unauthenticated
source code [1].

Kris

[1] Please don't take this as an invitation to talk about how Someone
Should Fix This, since it's not on the table until Someone first
writes csupd :-)

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH--