Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:18:39 +0300
From:      Sergei Barbarash <sgt@deltathree.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD box freezing or rebooting

Hello,

I use FreeBSD intensively for about two years now, and I never had this
problem:

My FreeBSD box at work constantly reboots or freezes on its own behalf. I have
no idea what is the problem. No logs, nothing.

I changed my RAM recently and tested all the hardware, it appears to be OK. My
question is - are there known unstable portions of 2.2.2-RELEASE kernel which
may cause this sort of problem, or should I check my hardware again?

(I'm using 2.2.2-RELEASE + XFree 3.3)

Thanks in advance for any help.

My kernel configuration follows:

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"		# aka Pentium(tm)
ident		ZARAZA
maxusers	10
config		kernel	root on wd0
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG
options		"MD5"
options		UCONSOLE
options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options		INET			#Internet communications protocols
pseudo-device	ether			#Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device	loop			#Network loopback device
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4	#Berkeley packet filter
options		FFS			#Fast filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MS DOS File System
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		QUOTA			#enable disk quotas
pseudo-device	pty	16	#Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
pseudo-device	log		#Kernel syslog interface (/dev/klog)
pseudo-device	gzip		#Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	vn		#Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device	snp	3	#Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
controller	isa0
options		"AUTO_EOI_1"
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS
options		"MAXMEM=(64*1024)"
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options		MAXCONS=16		# number of virtual consoles
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13 vector npxintr
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options		ATAPI_STATIC	#Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd1
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
controller	snd0
device sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 3 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 7
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
options	"EISA_SLOTS=12"