Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:51:49 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD firewall for high profile hosts - waste of time ?

> Nate Williams wrote:
> > Except that it's acting as a router, and as such there is no 'setup'
> > except for the one he is using to configure/monitor the firewall via
> > SSH.
> >
> > In essence, a no-op in a dedicated firewall setup.
>
> He doesn't want just a dedicated firewall, since it won't save
> him from an attack like the ones he's getting.
>
> The only reasonable way to shed load is at L4/L7 interaction;
> if all he's doing is L3, then his firewall will likely not
> save him.
>
> According to most of the stuff he posted, though, he's running
> L4 rules in his firewall (peeking into TCP packets).
>
> A Netscreen is a stateful firewall, which will (in effect) be
> providing applicaiton layer proxies for the connections... this
> is also the way a load balancer acts, in order to shed load by
> limiting simultaneous connections (L4/L7).
>

> In any case, he's got something else strange going on, because
> his load under attack, according to his numbers, never gets above
> the load you'd expect on 10Mbit old-style ethernet, so he's got
> something screwed up; probably, he has a loop in his rules, and
> a packet gets trapped and reprocessed over and over again (a
> friend of mine had this problem back in early December).
If I remember correctly he has less then 10Mbit
uplink and a lot of count rules for client accounting.
It is reason I recommend him to use userland accounting.
And as far as I understand a lot of count rules is
the reason for trouble.

I saw something similar a lot ago at the begin of my career :-)

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/