Date:      13 Feb 2000 16:00:46 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pop calls from script, 2nd attempt

Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your attention. But I have two another questions:
>
> What access protocol is better: IMAP or POP3, and what server
> implementation works better? I see imap-uw-4.7, cyrus-1.5.19,
> qpopper-2.53 in the FreeBSD ports...

IMAP is supposed to be more friendly for dial-up connections, since only
the headers of the mail messages ever traverse "the wire".  However,
IMAP does not provide for good off-line reading, since to get the body
of a message you have to be connected to the server as far as I know.

I haven't used any of these, but I seem to recall that a lot of people
are using qpopper around here.

> As I understand, fetchmail only fetches mail.

And you do understand it quit right.

> But I would like also to get the mail written on the client side
> delivered, as if it were written on the server side (i.e., with the
> address of user on the server host, and so on).

This is called "masquerading" in sendmail, "address rewriting" in
postfix, and gaud knows what else in other MTA's.

> Can sendmail running on the client/server sides provide it?  Where
> could I read how to configure it?

Yes, it can be done.  You have to use into the macro file that you use
to generate your sendmail.cf the following lines:

	MASQUERADE_AS(`your.domain.name')dnl
	MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(local.client.domain.name)dnl
	FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
	dnl
	dnl Which users we'll avoid masquerading.
	dnl
	EXPOSED_USERS(root)dnl

Then rebuild your sendmail.cf and restart sendmail.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr