Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 2015 17:09:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Raimund Sacherer <rs@logitravel.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to convert a physical host into a Jail?

Hello,

the first server I set up in our production environment was a backup server. Its FreeBSD 10.0 and I installed our backup server directly without creating jails first.

Now that I am much more familiar with FreeBSD and jails (iocage) I would like to:

clone (move, sync, ...?) the physical host into a iocage jail
after the clone works stop and remove the services from the host

Then upgrade to 10.2.

I am not sure on how to correctly move the physical host installation to the jail, also not sure about the correct way for the jail to get to various zfs datasets which our backup server needs. Allow them to mount in the Jail? Move them from where they are to beneath the jail? What are the differences?

Thank you
Best
Ray