Date:      Fri, 3 May 2019 09:33:42 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfredo Dal Ava Junior <alfredo.junior@eldorado.org.br>
Cc:        "freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: add linker option for LIB32 step on PowerPC64

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 14:03, Alfredo Dal Ava Junior
<alfredo.junior@eldorado.org.br> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on having PowerPC64 using LLVM by default, but LLD support fo=
r 32 bit seems to be incomplete.  As workaround I'm using ld.bfd (2.17) for=
 the LIB32 step.

Ok - eventual goal should be to have 32- and 64-bit linked with lld,
but I have no objection to an interim step that uses ld.bfd 2.17.50
for the 32-bit build. Note that there's a goal of removing GCC 4.2.1
and binutils 2.17.50 (requiring external toolchain for architectures
that have not migrated to clang/lld).

> I found no way to specify the linker for LIB32 step, so I created a varia=
ble called LIB32LD that I pass to "make buildworld". Apparently we'll have =
to make this workaround official, so I would like to know your thoughts abo=
ut this approach or if you have some other idea to share.

I think this would be fine, and it would default to ld.bfd on ppc64?