Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 22:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        hdalog@zipnet.net, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buffered Writes?

>    of power failure (unless your drive can write during spindown).
>
> queue algorithm modifier usually is "write in issue order" so just setting
> WCE to 1 does not do cause any damage (and nor it usually improves the
> performance if the load is continous like news disk).  But the more
> important issue is that I still haven't seen a disk which actually *does*
> have a write cache (pointers welcome :).

Quantum drives are one of the few that both ship from the factory with
WCE set to 1 (since there logic and spin down protection circutry actual
work).  Your following test should work and yeild patter speed/2 as long
as you stay on track when using a Quantum Empire, Capella, Saturn, Atlas
or Atlas II series drive (it may apply to other Quantum models as well).

Most other vendors drives either don't have a true write cache, or they
ship the drive with both WCE turned off and the memory (often called the
buffer) dedicated to read operations only.  The mode pages to get them
to write cache are vendor specific and without the vendors manual for the
drive your going to have a very hard time to get it turned on.

> Easy test is to write data to
> every second block on the disk.  If there is a write cache, you should get
> more than block / ~70ms (one disk revolution) written, optimally you should

Pretty darn slow disk drive there, I think you meant 16mS (3600RPM) or
11.1mS (5400RPM) or perhaps 8mS (7200RPM).

> get the disk platter speed / 2, but scsi handshake overhead usually makes
> this impossible.

SCSI handshake overhead is in the noise when looking at modern scsi disk
drives and controllers.

Depending on how fast you release the I/O's to the drive you
can see a whole track written in 1 revolution of the disk when writting
all the even sectors followed by all the odd sectors.  To do this test
correctly you must take into account the ZBR nature of the drive and
the cache in the drive must be at least 1 track in size (they usually
are closer to 1 cylinder in size total, and depending on how much
is segmented for write purposes, etc.).