Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 00:50:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A 3.0-current SNAP building machine has been found!

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> ACC TelEnterprises & James FitzGibbon have stepped forward and
> created, how shall I put it, a very *attractively* configured and
> connected machine for this purpose, complete with administrative
> support.
>
> Therefore, once I have it set up to start building SNAPs, I'll start
> up the cron job and have David G. point "current.freebsd.org" at this
> machine so that it people can ftp the latest 3.0-SNAPs from it in the
> same way they currently have releng22.freebsd.org for the RELENG_2_2
> (2.2-stable) branch.
>
> Of course, this raises an interesting question: Now that it's truly
> possible to get daily releases from the 3.0 & 2.2 bits (and, if
> someone else is still up to volunteer a box, I guess we could also
> create a releng210.freebsd.org for the 2.1-stable branch?) - what
> differentiates a "good" one from a bad one?  Which ones should we copy
> over to ftp.freebsd.org, periodically?
>
> I suppose that Terry will now suggest some sort of voting system and I
> can't even say that it's such a bad idea (just so long as I don't have
> to write the vote collection and tabulation software :-).
>
> Comments?

A lot of people who probably shouldn't, will get those bits.  Making it
easier for those that should get it will unavoidably have that side
effect.  We don't want to discourage it, even, but I think an obligatory
part of that cron job will be to update a *very* prominent README giving
the date of the last successful make world, and some verbage as to what
that means.  That way we can convert a possible public relations problem
("FreeBSD snaps are always bad") to a public relations plus ("FreeBSD
snaps with the Seal Of Approval dated [whatever] are easy to get").

BTW, many thanks to ACC TelEnterprises & James FitzGibbon!

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |