Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 15:08:27 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I like the HLT + IPI idea, but none of the patches to date really cover
>     the bases and switching performance is not going to be as good as when you
>     don't have the HLT due to the overhead of sending the IPIs and having to
>     keep track of which cpu's are in a HLT'd state and which are not (so you
>     don't send IPI's to all cpu's gratuitously).
>
>     This is not a trivial problem because we cannot afford to have N cpu's
>     all trying to do locked bitset instructions on the same memory location
>     in order to go idle -- that alone will create big latencies.

Just a thought after reading this thread.  Might it make sense to
implement a simple form of this or a similar scheme for the
dual-processor system?  There would only be 1 processor accessing the
lock-memory location.  Dual processor systems are leaving the server
only areana and entering user/power-user areana.

Then work on a more elegant solution the 4-way and above, I know i
skipped the 3-way.

Jim
--
"...there's no idea that's so good you can't
    ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."