Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:13:13 -0500
From:      "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <pieckiel+freebsd-questions@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make index broken?

I'm running 5.3 on i386 (built from sources DL'ed via CVS on
2 Dec 2004) and a ports tree (complete) that was downloaded via
CVS on 2 Dec 2004.  My src tree is pulling from the RELENG_5
tag and my ports tree is pulling from HEAD.  As of a fresh CVS
of ports today (6 Dec 2004), I still cannot issue a 'make index'
while in /usr/ports.  What am I doing wrong?  I keep getting the
following error message (which I also got while running 5.2.1
before upgrading to 5.3):

Generating INDEX-5 - please wait.."Makefile", line 34: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
"Makefile", line 34: Malformed conditional (defined(PHP_VERS) && ${PHP_VERS} < 420)
"Makefile", line 34: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 36: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 36: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
===> databases/pear-DB_DataObject failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports@FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1