Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:45:26 -0500
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A new mmap finger printer

On Saturday 20 January 2007 02:05 am, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 06:51 pm, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> > I added PROT_EXEC test and cleaned up Marcin Cieslak's mmap
> > finger printer.  Can any one try this on a real Linux/i386 box
> > and send me the output?
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/mmap_test.c

I realized each distro has different mmap behavior. :-(  The following
is the list of quirks that I found:

1.  READ implies EXEC on some distros.
2.  EXEC implies READ on some distros.
3.  WRITE implies READ on some distros.
4.  WRITE implies EXEC on some distros.

Obviously we want maximum compatibility.  So, I think we have to do
all of the above.  Actually I found that's what Linux/ia64 does for
ia32 emulation. ;-)

Thank you all for the reports!

Jung-uk Kim