Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:07:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd/cdcontrol

Ah, I didn't know about the DVD for $ issue.  In any case, I prefer
cdrecord because it works cross-platform and is supported by many GUIs.

The problem with making burncd work for SCSI is that it doesn't use the
ATAPI interface, instead it implements our own ioctl interface.
Currently, the ioctls burncd uses that are missing from cd(4) are:

  CDRIOCGETBLOCKSIZE
  CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE
  CDRIOCNEXTWRITEABLEADDR
  CDRIOCBLANK
  CDRIOCGETPROGRESS
  CDRIOCINITWRITER
  CDRIOCFIXATE
  CDRIOCSENDCUE
  CDRIOCINITTRACK
  CDRIOCFLUSH
  CDRIOCREADFORMATCAPS
  CDRIOCFORMAT

Instead of cutting/pasting those from atapi-cd.c, I think it would be
better eventually to rewrite burncd using the ATAPI commands and libcam to
send them to the drive.  That way we can have one CD driver instead of
duplicating all that code.  IMO, atapi-cd.c need never have been written
but atapi-cam should have been done much earlier.  We now have two nearly
identical drivers for supporting the exact same hardware.  cd(4) works for
ATAPI and SCSI drives.  acd(4) doesn't but has newer ATAPI commands that
have not yet been cut/pasted into cd(4).

-Nate