Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:46:32 -0500
From:      "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   rackmount

I posted this to freebsd-hardware@ last week and got few replies, sorry if
you get to see it again.

I'm really looking for the standards and parts.  I know there's got to be a
place to for each of those things.  I'm also interested in what _works_ for
other people.

I'm also looking for information on rackmount hardware.  I'm interested in
the standards such as placement of fasteners, power cords, network cables,
and mounting.  Ideally, this would be a learning experience--otherwise I'd
just go plop my money down at intel.

For the first time, I've had a reason to get into rackmount cases.  I
haven't found much in the list archives and my clueless web searches haven't
provided me much in the way of results.  I've found a few companies that
provide them but they list minimal information and the cheapest I've found
anything is $200 for a (empty) 2U case.

I've found:
http://www.rackmaster.com/products.htm
http://www.calpc.com/html/contents.html
http://www.aristaipc.com/chassis/chassis.htm
http://www.antec-inc.com/product/product.html
http://www.starbox.net/ (no parts)
http://www.servercase.com/Rackmountcases.html (most impressive as far as
quantity)
http://www.gorilla.net/
to name a few.

I'm also looking at boards.  I use a SuperMicro P6DBE for everything, but
I'm open to suggestions.  All I need is a bare minimum of a BX chipset with
support for dual P3 Katmai processors and nothing slower than Ultra33.  SCSI
is definitely not needed.  It'd be nice if video and a 10/100 ethernet
controller were on board.  Since the 600MHz Katmai is on the rise, I can
suffer with 800MHz or better FC-PGA processors.  Ideally, the board would be
$200 or less whether it be new or used.

I've found a few boards that meet my needs:
slot1:
    Intel N440BX and L440GX
    SuperMicro P6DBE and P6DGE
    Tyan 1832 and 1834