Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:54:33 +1000
From:      Phil Homewood <philh@mincom.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        cch@ccpc4.kmc.edu.tw, FreeBSD-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/13405: syslogd get system hang

Doug wrote:
> > And this FreeBSD machine sets log messages output to /dev/lpt0.
> >
> > When I turn off the printer's power for adding paper, after a while,
> > the FreeBSD machine hang up -- I can not get any responses from console
> > and I can not connect to it by ssh (it has run sshd).
>
> 	This really isn't a bug. Next time please try freebsd-questions before
> using send-pr, although it's not the end of the world. :) It sounds to me
> like the partition where your printer spool file lives is getting full
> while your machine can't print. There are a few other possibilities, but I
> think the place for you to start is to send this same information to
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org and ask for suggestions on fixing it.

Actually, it sounds to me more like syslogd is blocking trying to
write to a device which is offline. Anything which syslogs to this
device is going to block (once buffers fill) until the device is
available.

One possible solution (untried) might be to have syslogd send output
to a named pipe, and have an lpr process reading this pipe and printing
to the printer. (Though this may well suffer the same problem.)

Of course, -questions could well provide some better info. As Doug said,
try there. Good luck!
--
Phil Homewood             DNRC          email: philh@mincom.com
Postmaster and BOFH