Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2016 13:56:15 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "laoluomoks@gmail.com" <laoluomoks@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Hi, a dual booting and printing question

On 10/09/16 17:30, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 08:05:23 +0000 From: "Thomas Mueller"
> <mueller6722@twc.com> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Cc: Olaoluwa
> Omokanwaiye <laoluomoks@gmail.com> Subject: Re: Hi, a dual booting and
> printing question Message-ID: <D4.54.26444.46AF9F75@dnvrco-omsmta03>
>> > Hi,
>> > Pls what do I do when I am unable to log in to my free BSD. I misconfi=
gured
>> > the xdm and it's not allowing me to log in.
>> > I can't even work from the terminal because the ctrl alt fxn keys are =
not
>> > responding. Once the system starts it goes to the xdm and hangs. I tho=
ught
>> > to use enlightenment desktop but alls not functioning.

If I remember correctly, all you need to do for xdm is modify the line=20
for ttyv8 in /etc/ttys :

ttyv8	"/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure

Change the off to on, and your xdm should work.

Of course, some desktop environments have their own login manager which=20
can be optionally used. For gnome, put 'gnome_enable=3D"YES"' and for kde,=
=20
'kdm4_enable=3D"YES"' in /etc/rc.conf. But xdm should work for you; it is=20
the DE independent login manager.

Regards
Manish Jain