Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:24:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Mike Berning <berninme@muohio.edu>
Cc:        <kdk@daleco.biz>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: domain names, named, and all the problems that go with it.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, at 11:56 [=GMT-0500], Mike Berning wrote:

> I registerd my nameserver with godaddy's webform, ns1.example.com, and put
> in it's ip address, then in their webform I told it to list my domain in
> my nameserver and one of the root servers. Did this about two hours ago.
> If I do a whois it still lists the two previous nameservers I wasn in.
> Perhaps I'll just let it sit a while, maybe it will 'catch up'.

A lot of the whois servers do not update real time but only after so
many hours. The central whois updates just once a day, so you will see
your old nameservers in there for some time possibly.
However, the whois has no port in resolution... So what matters is
when the nameservers of .com/.net/.org are updated. This is done twice
a day.
If you want to check whether this has already happened:

dig @a.gtld-servers.net YOURDOMAIN.com. ns

I think the nameservers for .biz and .us domains updates every 10 or
15 minutes.