Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 17:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-chat@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft's overwhelmed FTP servers

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Hal Snyder wrote:

> >Let's see... that's about 5300 or so requests per hour, assuming a
> >So we're talking ~1100 requests per hour per machine. And *that* is
>
> Would it not be more fair to compare bytes per hour?  Internet Exploder
> is a large file, probably much larger than the average download from
> ftp.cdrom.com.

Quake's pretty darn large, too.

> I'd sure like to see objective comparisons of FreeBSD v. NT networking,
> shorn of marketing hype and O/S holy war rhetoric.

It wouldn't be fair to make a judgement based solely on how many bytes
ftp.cdrom.com has coughted in a day compared to how many bytes
whatever.microsoft.isn't-microsoft-a-top-level-domain-yet?.com unless
there was a very large difference between the two.

> Is there a way to query on-line current download stats for ftp.cdrom.com?
> I remember around the time Quake came out someone (David Greenman?) posted
> some impressive numbers.

I believe it was 112MB transferred in one day.  Had it been one 24-hour
period, the numbers might well be even higher.  I think you're right, and
that was just after Quake came out and after a bug in wcarchives ftpd had
been fixed that effectively allowed unlimited users on at a time.

If noone else's saved the numbers, I've still got them in my INBOX, but
I'm sure David Greenman has them, too.  Plus much more current ones that
include the load on the machine at the time, perhaps.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk