Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 15:37:00 +1000
From:      "Scott, Brian" <BScott@vitgssw.telstra.com.au>
To:        "'smtp:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Netatalk programs

Hello,

I've had a bit of difficulty with the kernel Appletalk support in
FreeBSD 2.2.1 and was hoping that you could point me in the right
direction.

I had been running the CAP package on my machine (more or less in line
with the port) until recently (i.e. under 2.1.0) using bpf devices.
This broke under 2.2.1 so I decided to give Kernel Appletalk support a
go (under CAP).  This seems to also be broken (although less so after a
lot of stuffing around).

I have noticed a few references to a suite of programs (atalkd etc) that
are meant to go with the netatalk package and have obtained a copy (from
umich, the original authors) of the distributon.  The original code
seems to have no knowledge of FreeBSD.  Correcting this slight
oversight, I now have a fair amount of the code compiled but then things
started to get a bit ugly.

It seems to me that the organisation that did the port to FreeBSD have
probably been through all this before me.

Is there somewhere I should be looking for the fruits of this labour?
Should I be talking to someone at 'Whistle Communications Corp'?   If
so, any clues on how I find her/him/them/it?

In the mean time I'll just keep on hacking away here but I'd love to
know if someone has already done this before me.

Thanks

Brian