Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/20056: Bad SGML in the "@ sign" entry of the FAQ

The following reply was made to PR docs/20056; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:24:35 +0200

 On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 04:54:56PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
 > <pre class="PROGRAMLISTING">
 >     pn=\@
 > </pre>
 The html-tag pre indicates preformatted text and both Netscape 4 and the
 Preview 1 of Netscape 6 (I admit my sin: Yes, I'm using Windows 98, too)
 indent this text.

 Note: You must activate style sheets and javascript in a 4.x Netscape to
 see the effect - Netscape 4 handles style sheets by converting them into
 javascript commands. No javascript -> no style sheets -> left aligned.

 Even lynx creates the indent. w3m should do that, too.

 > That results from <programlisting>pn=\@</programlisting>, and I'd assume
 > conversions to other formats get this right too.

 My eyes tell me a rather different story :-)

 /s/Udo
 --
 Q:  How do you play religious roulette?
 A:  You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets struck