Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:38:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, phk@critter.tfs.com, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 locore.s swtch.s sys/i386/include pmap.h

> "John S. Dyson" wrote:
> > > I hope John's not going to have too much of a heart attack.. :-]  It doesn'
> > > interfere with the pmap code or the vm system in general, apart from making
> > > the maximum npkt space smaller by 4MB.  I'm pretty sure I can get this
> > > to fly tonight, and will probably be able to get rid of the idle procs
> > > and smp_idleloop() in the process.
> > >
> > Don't worry, just feel free to ask for help (if you need it.)
>
> Don't worry.. I will certainly yell "Help!!!" when I need it. :-)
>
> OBTW, easy question.  Is it safe to do a:
> 	movl	%cr3, %eax
> 	movl	%eax, %cr3
> .. from a non-spl-maskable interrupt handler?

I think that it is safe to do at anytime.  The processor will
refill the tlb's as needed.  That is *exactly* what I would have
suggested for what you are doing.  BTW, remember to save %eax :-).

It just so happens that pdirs never move once created.  Could
you possibly do a pushfl;cli;invltlb;popfl though?  That will
keep interrupts away, and also will make pdirs movable eventually.
(just kind of curious more than anything why/if cli/sti won't work
in the context that you are describing.)

> Have I missed something?

I don't think so, esp since as I said that current pdirs don't move
anyway.

John