Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:46:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB, scanners, and SANE?

This was discussed on the sane mailing lists last month, and the
concessious was USB support is desirable, but today there are several
problems. a) nobody with an interest in writting a scanner backend has a
USB scanner, b) the lack of stable implimentations of USB and unix.

a) is the biggest thing getting in the way, but that is expected to
change over the next year or so.  I encourage you to get involved and
write the backend.

b) will be a big deal.  The goal is to have standard functions for
accessing the USB port, similear to what sane does for scsi.  Before work
in that direction can procede the operating systems SANE runs on need USB
support.  NetBSD is the only one that has USB support.  FreeBSD and Linux
were both noted as making progress, but not yet to the point where anyone
can truely belive that they won't change their API 10 times a month for
the next few months.  Obviously things will settle down (and probably
won't get that bad) but today the implimentation isn't truely ready for
others to write protable programs on top of.

on the other hand, b) should be solved in the next few months.  (and if
you read -current you probably know the state of USB in freeBSD, which is
progressing nicely)  Once the OS level implimentations are stable, SANE
will write a wrapper API, and then things will be ready for a backends.

You can short circuite this process, like the parrell drivers do, but
remember that parrell scanners are generally unsupported, and considering
manufactures additude always will be.  USB scanners probably will be
supported, therefore if you write something plan time to re-write it to a
standard when sane releases one.

Good luck!

      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com