Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 08:29:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        daniel@ncsu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VFAT/? Problem

> /kernel: mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
> clustersize in length
>
> I know there has been talk about this problem in the past, I am just
> curious as to what the status of it is.  If no one is looking into it, I
> might like to take a stab at it, but first I'd like to know if anyone
> know's what's causing it?

If you use a piece of software like "parted" to reduce the size of your
MSDODSFS partition (say to install FreeBSD on the remainder of the disk),
then you will leave the cluster size larger than is necessary for the
size of the partition.

When this happens, you will get this warning message.

Because of the way MSDOSFS is written, you will also have the possibility
of writing out the expected cluster size worth of FAT entries -- too many
FAT entries -- and the driver will not enforce the partition boundry, and
you can trash the front of the following partition.  Usually the FreeBSD
boot record and Slice A.  Some fixes have gone in to deal with the overwrite
without fixing the underlying problem (that without knowledge of the BIOS
geometry, it's impossible to know how to enforce the sector restrictions).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.