Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:52:28 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.5-PRERELEASE smbfs resolving issues

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:30 +0200, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:

> [ summary of the heavily mangled ("anonymized") log: the
>   server's name is "fileserver", its IP is "192.168.100.101"
>   and one alias "asdasd" got "created" by editing /etc/hosts ]
>
> asd# mount_smbfs //guest@fileserver/mp3-i /mnt
>
> [ ... works, while ... ]
>
> asd# mount_smbfs //guest@asdasd/mp3-i /mnt
> mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Operation timed out
>
> [Won't resolve with /etc/hosts]
>
> asd# mount_smbfs //guest@192.168.100.101/mp3-i /mnt
> mount_smbfs: server name '192.168.100.101' too long

You might want to
- look up the mount_smbfs manpage (I didn't personally, my
  system is not too current and neither did I install the
  smbfs port) or
- visit the project's website and look for the SMB article in the
  "in the press" section (that's what I did recently:) -- thank you
  very much Michael, I guess that's what made them punish you with
  a committer's bit :>

There should be an -I option which could be of interest to you.

<rant mode on>
This very problem will always bite you when you deal with MS
originated or influenced stuff:  they might use some standard
tool but they almost never do it naturely(sp?) or completely and
always try to "bring in" their own solution and favour it, no
matter how broken or counter intuitive it may be ...  IP and its
supporting infrastructure (DNS) is an option in Windows networks,
but it's not the native way of doing things.  The MS approach is
"no need to know, no need to think, no need to set things up,
just plug it together and it will work in some magical way -- as
long as you buy everything from MS".  That's why they think
broadcasts are a Good Idea (TM) and clients should shout out
into the world when searching for servers instead of asking
some already established directory.
<rant mode off>

> Is that worth a PR ?

Definitely not.  Unless bypassing WINS doesn't work either.  But
then you should try to stick with the facts (don't introduce
artificial problems by editing / munging everything you did)
and maybe try to narrow down yourself which step of the whole
SMB chain doesn't work.  The best PRs are those with patches
attached. :)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net