Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 00:13:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        eischen@pcnet.com (Daniel M. Eischen)
Subject:   Re: Copyright question

As Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

>   o It's a MIL-STD-1553 driver and will have limited use.  Can
>     we still have it included in the source tree?

Just out of curiosity: what is MIL-STD-1553?

>   o How does the addition of 4th condition in the copyright
>     affect any inclusion in FreeBSD?  Is it too restrictive?

> /*
>  * Driver for the MIL-STD-1553B interface boards manufactured by
>  * Condor Engineering, Inc.

>  * 4. This code is only licensed for use with Condor Engineering, Inc.
>  *    interface hardware.

I think this is:

* redundant -- the driver is built for a Condor Eng. board, so it's
  certainly unusable with a BusLogic SCSI adapter or a 3Com ethernet
  card :)

* impractical -- if we are allowed to ship the driver, but its actual
  *usage* is restricted, who will ever care for the restriction?

(Anyway, i don't think it really restricts redistribution of the
source and/or binary code, so pending objections from more
knowledgable people, i think it's okay.)

--
cheers, J"org