Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 22:31:40 +0000 (MST)
From:      Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
To:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, terry@cs.weber.edu, root@io.cts.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

Paul Richards writes:

> > > Would an all singing, all dancing administration tool, like SVR4 sysadm
> > > or AIX's be a sufficient answer to this problem?
> >
> > It would certainly be a heck of a start.  I've made a very rudimentary
> > beginning on this with `dmenu', but something a lot more polished I
> > certainly would not kick out of bed for eating crackers.
> >
> > > What it if was only available as a GUI tool?
> >
> > There would be some fuss, but since Jeremy has kindly offered Xaccel
> > at VGA resolutions, we'd have most folks covered.
>
> Offered it to who?

The offer was made to FreeBSD.Org in early or mid December in the
midst of discussion about whether to use a GUI based
post-install/configuration phase.  We're interested in promoting the
use of the X Window System, we maintain 640x480x16bpp for pretty much
every chipset you can think of (if you invoke the Server and we can't
identify what you have, but we can find enough to run VGA, we'll do
so).  It solved an argument about being unable to guarantee
640x480x4bpp operation on all VGA hardware.

We're quite happy to provide a crippled (640x480x4bpp) Server for
almost any environment for which we currently have a port, especially
if makes the OS easier to install, configure and use.  Our market
grows as the size of the whole UNIX market grows.  It is a little
extra work for us (we have to make it so that pulling down the
patches from our Anon-FTP Server doesn't permit someone to build a
useful working Server for which they'd have otherwise paid us).

Cheers, JeremyC.
--
Jeremy Chatfield, +1(303)470-5302, FAX:+1(303)470-5513, email:jdc@xinside.com
        X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.