Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 12:42:34 -0800
From:      "Eric C. S. Dynamic" <ecsd@transbay.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp question

... not on same network

> You're defining your ethernet aliases wrong.    Try this:
> ifconfig vx0 inet a.b.c+1.2 netmask 0xffffffff alias

That worked. (To get the "arp -s" accepted, anyway.)

I know this has undoubtedly gone through in thread(s) here, but
why can't I alias an interface using the netmask appropriate for that
interface?

My router is on the network as two different class C's.
My host is on the network as a single 512-IP subnet.

My notion was to define the host interface so that not only was it
primarily the 512-IP interface as required, but also so that it
was on the upper class C by itself. I could imagine that the routing
would be a bit nonplussed with this, but I could also imagine that
the routing would just say, "fine, if you want to do it that way."

The reason for doing this is (1) that in order to aggregate the two
class C subnets into one on the router, I have to get all my remote
users to switch netmasks at once, and that's proved administratively
difficult. I can tell the router its netmask is 0xfffffe00, but once
I do, all dialups fail somewhere in LCP negotiations until the user(s)
change their router configs as well. If I knew they were all paying
attention, I could mass-mail them and say "change will occur at 0000GMT
on [date]", but they aren't listening and they'll make me nuts with
calls as to why isn't it working, etc.
But (2), I need the extra class C's addresses to represent virtual
domains (out to http/1.0 clients.), and it seems I'd tried to tell my
host interface to be two class C's,
a.b.c.N mask 0xffffff00
a.b.c+1.N mask 0xffffff00
but that wasn't happy either. I realize that the interface code is
getting cleverer, but it didn't seem like I could stack two networks
on the same interface. (I'm only using routed, if that matters.)

So, when I want to declare the interface as ALSO a.b.c+1.2 with
netmask 0xffffff00, that's exactly what I really mean (in the router's
behalf) ... and that's illegal?

Unfortunately for the router, it has only one ethernet interface.
Pissers.

thanks.
-ecsd

p.s. It might be worth mentioning that I've also seen the syndrome
of not being able to "see" an aliased interface from the host it's
aliased on, as others have reported:

ifconfig xy0 1.2.3.4
ifconfig xy0 1.2.3.5 mask (whatever)

and can't ping 1.2.3.5 from 1.2.3.4.
I've just assumed it's because I'm not running 2.2.5.9999 ....