Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 19:34:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Subject:   Re: bringing up freebsd

Tom Samplonius stands accused of saying:
> > A few questions:
> > 	1) should I start off with the 2.05 kernel?
> > 	Can I run the 2.0 release binaries with the 2.05 kernel
> > 	(I have the November infomagic cd-rom).
>
>   2.0R binaries will not work with 2.0.5R kernel.

This is misleading.  In the context of the original question ("can I
run a 2.0.5 kernel on top of a 2.0R system"), it's correct, as much
changed between 2.0 and 2.0.5, but one certainly _can_ run 2.0 binaries
under 2.0.5 (hence the compat20 package).

> > Also, what's involved to cross-compile on linux for freebsd?
>
>   Don't know.  Read docs for gcc would be a start.  Would probably have
> to re-build gcc on Linux from scratch, plus pull over all sorts of bits
> from FreeBSD.  Probably be very difficult.

I've done (most) of this.  It's a _real_pain_.  Better off configuring the
BSD box with 20 or 30M of swap and NFS mounting more of the Linux system
to get space.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[