Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 00:24:00 +0600
From:      Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
To:        "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bsnmpd: ifTable and if_nametoindex() inconsistency

Hi!

I run 8.2-PRERELEASE with bsnmpd and mpd55 serving PPPoE users.
I've noticed that sometimes snmpwalk shows interface indexes
that partially differ from what if_nametoindex(3) returns
with off-by-one or off-by-two. For example, just now this server has
813 connected PPPoE sessions (interfaces named ngXXXX)
and SNMP returns wrong indexes for 567 out of them, starting from ng334.

I've restarted bsnmpd but this made it worse: now all dynamic ngXXXX
interfaces have obtained new indexes in SNMP ifTable and no one
equals to if_nametoindex(name).

Aren't these indexes supposed to be equal?
I really need quick method to obtain SNMP index within mpd55 code
(for my local mpd hacks) and if_nametoindex() used to seem nice way...
I need to export indexes via mpd's web interface so that they may be
checked remotely using SNMP.

Eugene Grosbein