Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:29:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "James M. Criner" <ebzd@gdeb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BootEasy Bootmanager

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, James M. Criner wrote:

> After many tiring evenings and several nailbiting sessions, I have
> successsfully installed FreeBSD while managing to preserve my existing
> DOS/WIN95 system.  My goal was to have one drive be completely DOS, and the
> second drive have a small DOS partition followed by FreeBSD.  That way I could
> keep the existing system isolated and pass data via the small DOS partition on
> the new disk.  I have both systems up and running independently (by
> plugging/unplugging SCSI cables), but I can't seem to get the boot manager to
> allow me to boot from either disk.  The BIOS hangs and I get the message "Drive
> not ready: Please insert disk into A:".  Here's the setup -
>
> Original HD (DOS Primary) Quantum ProDrive LPS 540 MB - ID 01
>   No partitions, no boot manager.

If this is the first disk in the system, it must have the boot manager on
it.

> New HD (Small DOS part, FreeBSD) Seagate ST32550N 2047MB - ID 00

Make sure one of the partitions on this disk is falgged as 'active' in
FDISK.

>   Partitions:
>   64MB DOS Primary
>   1983MB FreeBSD
>     /        64MB
>     /usr   1663MB
>     swap    256MB
>   Boot manager installed - allows boot from    F1  Dos
>                                                F2  BSD
>
> Is there any way to allow booting from disk 00 BSD, or disk 01 WIN95, and allow
> both to read/write to the small DOS partition on disk 00.  I want to keep disk
> 01 WIN95 isolated as I can't afford to "hose" it (although I wouldn't mind
> throwing it out the window).  I feel alot more comfortable setting up and
> administering FreeBSD than trying to re-install WIN95.  WIN95 works OK now, and
> as they say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Booteasy can be tricky.  It depends a lot on your setup.

OS-BS, another boot manager, is available in tools/ from where you got
FreeBSD.  If Booteasy isn't working for you myou might try that.