Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 16:35:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.edu.au>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lowering securelevel from console?

Hi all,
	I'm sure this has been discussed before, I've hit the list browse
web engine with no good results, so...

I think that being able to lower the securelevel as root from the console
would be a good idea, rather than having to go to single-user mode to make
changes as required.

I know the current code in kern_mib.c doesn't do this. I'm expecting
comments back saying that it's not a good idea, you're still net connected.
Assume I've ifconfig'd all interfaces down :-)

Now, are there any other reasons why lowering securelevel as root from
the console (and no net connectivity) would be a BAD thing?

Many thanks in advance for critical and informative replies!

	Warren