Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 96 11:45 PST
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd linux and FreeBSD

>> On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Morini Stefano wrote:

>> > Morini Stefano
>> >
>> > On my System I have 200 user account on linux system. I don' t know
>> > password of my users.
>> > Is it possible use crypt password linux system and migrate on FreeBSD
>> > system.
>> >

>I would think if linux is using DES and you install freeBSD with DES you
>could write a convert program to make the /etc/passwd file with the *'s
>in the password field, and the /etc/master.passwd with the real password
>plus extra fields, and that it would work.

I certainly did this when converting from S5R3 to freebsd and it worked
fine.  I can't speak for linux but if they use "old unix" passwd encryption
it should be fine.  Took a 5 or 6 line awk program :-)  On new freebsd
installations I'm using the exportable (MD5) passwd stuff as it "seems"
stronger than the DES one.

-- Pete