Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:44:44 +0200
From:      "Marc Schneiders" <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        <dvwd@wwdg.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multi processor support?

dvwd@wwdg.com wrote:

>From the (very) few items i can find on the freebsd web pages it looks like
3.2 supports MP.  Does it do it >automagicly?
No, you have to compile a kernel with SMP enabled. This is easy though. Info
on the first page mentioned below.

>How can I tell if it's working and using both cpu's in my system?

Dmesg will thell you when the second CPU is up in the air. Top shows you
which CPU is doing what. (In 3.1 in any case, which I am still using.)

>Also, is there any way to control what processes happen on
>which cpu?
I don't think so. See, however the first page given below, where all the
information is.

>Are there any man/how to pages for setting up SMP?

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html has all the important info,
including how to do it.

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~sakai/html/mycomputer.html page of a happy user
with a benchmark comparison between one and two CPU kernels.

Good luck!

Marc Schneiders