Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 22:32:12 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: runtime warnings

> I am not sure if this is current or hackers topic but since I
> run current...
>
> This may have come up before but what is the purpose of
> having runtime warnings for things like gets. Compile time warnings
> I can understand, but runtime???

Originally, it was impossible to generate compile time warnings.  So, by
adding run-time warnings and access to the source you get the user of
the program to quickly fix the problem because it is so annoying. ;)

I'm pretty sure we can generate compile time warnings now, and it would
also be easy to generate run-time warnings only once, rather than for
each call of the program.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how to do it
and I don't have time to look right now.  The place to start would be in
the NetBSD version of gets.c, which has a linker directive to generate
compile time warnings.

Nate